Who We’re Looking For:
We're looking for an experienced (seriously, been there done that) front end engineer to join our growing team. You make pragmatic (often boring) technology choices at work but are always exploring new solutions. You are humble enough to work with other frameworks, technologies, constraints, and people when that's the easiest and/or best thing to do for the user and company.
You don’t mind being the one that looks bad when you deserve it. We all make mistakes sometimes but rather than dwell on them you choose to fix and learn from them then move forward. You care about how your work and attitude affects those around you. If you hurt someone, it hurts you. Everything you do runs through this filter.
You'll work on everything front end, from a beautiful UI to complex client-side logic, caching to performance, interacting with (and sometimes helping to improve) our REST API, and developing the future of our client side applications in React.
You are an Engineer who:
- Focuses on shipping software that matters to your users and that matters to the company you’re building it for.
- Asks for help or input when you're stuck on a problem or need another point of view
- Is a forward thinker, obsessed with good software design and best practices but also knows a perfect solution will never get shipped.
- Loves creating apps that are as elegant under the hood as they are on the front end
- Brings passion, innovation and problem solving to every endeavor and has a fun doing it.
- Understands that communication is the biggest responsibility of your job but you need to focus on it to get it right.
- Lastly, everyone knows that when you take on a task, regardless if it’s huge and scary or tiny and boring, you’re going to see it through to the best of your ability.
What You’ll Be Doing
You’ll be working alongside our product team, building apps that make every piece of hourly workforce management - scheduling, time tracking, shift trading and more - easy and straightforward, for managers and employees alike. We’re not looking for you to just complete a task, but to build a product together with product owners, designers, developers and QA on a cross-functional team. Your ideas and code will be put in production and used by hundreds of thousands all over the world.
- Rolling out new features, analyzing, and reacting (pun intended) to the data we collect, to make the product even better. We love data to inform our decisions!
- Optimizing existing functionality for improved performance
- Brainstorming with a dynamic team to flesh out new ideas and investigate tricky issues
- Searching creatively for the best solution while recognizing a released feature now that can iterate is better than a perfect one later.
Experience and Skills Needed
- Top-notch programming skills, ability to produce quality code that is maintainable, efficient, reliable and secure.
- A working knowledge of the basics of agile (backlogs, estimation, progress updates and retrospectives).
- 2+ years experience doing front end, single page, application development.
- Distributed version control (git) and regular deployments
- 2+ years experience in frontend design and build tools, such as Sass, Less, CSS, Grunt, or Gulp.
- Working understanding of frontend build pipelines and their respective tools such as Webpack, Browserify, etc.
Awesome to Have
- Experience building applications using React and/or Redux, as well as other react-based tools.
- Experience building React Native apps on Android and iOS.
- A detailed eye for design and user experience.
What’s in it for you:
- Passionate coworkers -- you’ll work with open-minded, enthusiastic people who will constantly challenge and motivate you to go above and beyond to produce great work and grow in your career.
- Transparency -- you’ll experience an open door policy that gives you the unique opportunity of having direct and informal access to our entire team.
- Individual ownership -- you’ll be empowered to take personal ownership of projects that can directly impact the future direction and overall success of our products.
- Diversity of thought -- you’ll become part of a talented team with a wide range of skills, experience, and philosophy.
- A communication and collaboration company used daily by tens of thousands of business locations to schedule hundreds of thousands of hourly workers around the world.
- A well-funded ($24M Series A-B in August ‘16) 120+ person company and growing.
- A 2X Best Places to Work
- Led by a CEO named to the 2016 Business Journal 40 under 40 and Inc.com 2014 list of 35 Under 35 Coolest Entrepreneurs
- The 2013 Minnesota Cup High Tech Division Winner
From our employees:
- “I work here because the team is awesome. There's no politics, there's no middle management second guessing everything or micro-managing my time, and everyone treats each other with respect.”
- “There’s so much to do to make the app a world-class app, I’m anxious to get it there and I believe I know how to do it. I enjoy building things, so this is right up my alley!”
- “What's cool about the work - The fact that I'm legitimately given the latitude to directly contribute to new initiatives and major product changes. I'm not micromanaged. I am empowered to determine what to do to help grow the company and to go do it.”
- “The people who work here are a lot of fun! Even though we’ve grown to 100 employees it’s still easy to get to know people especially if you join in on the lunch room shenanigans ;) The company activities we do are always fun too.”
- Medical and dental benefits
- Paid vacation and holidays
- 401K Match
- Flexible work environment
- Data/Cell (internet) stipend
- Casual dress code
Sound Like a Good Fit?
Check out our core values. If they excite you, we’d love to talk! Please submit the following to apply:
- Resume (including months/years of employment for each position)
- Cover letter explaining why you’d like to work at When I Work, and not somewhere else.
Not looking right now for a new job?
That’s OK… we are going to be hiring through 2017. Let’s talk about what you may be looking for down the road.
*Must already be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer.