Who We’re Looking For
We are looking for a talented and versatile engineer to work with our Director of Finance and Head of Analytics to lead the technical and data operations of a fast paced growing software company. You should be highly technical and a passion for solving problems related to data and business operations.
We are looking for someone who understands the importance of systems and how they relate to the overall business success. This position will have aspects of Development, IT, and Analytics combined into one role. As the Data Engineer, teams will rely on you to lead the charge in maintaining the overall integrity of our databases and how the information flows to the different business units and tools used throughout the organization. This person will also have ownership over our internally developed tools which are important to the daily operations of the business. This person will be someone that is passionate about solving problems and working independently and with teams, someone who is willing to go the extra mile, put in some late nights around deadlines, and truly understands how the importance data integrity and system automation.
In particular, the Data Engineer will be supporting When I Work’s core values of be curious, be dependable, be resourceful, and value the artistry around how we can insure the integrity of our data and use of our systems to understand and further growth of our business.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Develop and manage internally developed systems and tools used throughout the organization by working with different members of the organization to set short term and long term goals for how we manage our systems and data.
- Manage the integrity of company data and database infrastructure using MySQL and working side by side with development and product team members.
- Be the technical resource for the Analytics team in all data requests, processes, and needed “plumbing” situations - always with eye toward how data informs the business
- Help develop intricate SQL queries to pull data out of production database and other analytics tools (Chartio, Marketo, Tableau, Segment, etc.)
- Develop and manage the disparate data sources and connections from APIs through the development of tools, webhooks and cron scripts that plumb data where it needs to be.
- Assist the company in utilizing tools and tracking solutions such as Salesforce, Netsuite, Avalara, Zendesk, Marketo, Intercom, Tableau, Chartio, Segment, Google Analytics, etc. This may include creating and managing webhooks/APIs that allow data to flow to each of these tools seamlessly
- Manage all connections and feeds to all data sources and tools
- Plumb group/account segment data into Marketo using web hook
- Plumb data from existing and new tools back into Segment and/or SF.
- Manage all implementation of analytics tracking and tool integration into the app
- Creating cron scripts that fire events to web hooks for user intel and predictive analytics
- Ensure all analytics tracking is working and operational across all web properties (including the app)
- Manage and build internal integrations and tools like ZD/SMS and Manager Tool
- Help analytics team build sophisticated data visualizations and exploration tools
- Plumb data from Intercom into Zendesk using Webhooks
- Plumb customer and transaction data from production to NetSuite
- Help manage and configure integrations platform like JitterBit and build hooks as necessary
- Work collaboratively with the Head of Analytics and Director of Finance to assure data integrity and the ability for us to slice/dice data according to business questions that come up
Experience and Skills Needed
- Combination of 3 - 7 years of web application development and analyst experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or similar field
- A self-starter who can work autonomously, make sound independent decisions, while being able to efficiently manage time and multiple projects simultaneously
- An explorer - someone who loves to think through problems and come up with solutions to those problems
- Life-long learner - always looking for ways to expand individual toolbox with interests in attending development conferences conferences, additional training on core business systems, etc.
- Advanced skills in SQL querying and scripting
- Advanced skills working with and understanding relational databases
- Experience writing SQL queries and building dashboards in some type of BI tool like Chartio, Tableau, etc.
- Someone who understands the importance of “data integrity”
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills - can communicate complex ideas to different types of audiences
- Must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills
- Understand and be comfortable with the idea of the Scientific Method driving how we analyze and determine success via data
- Outstanding team player and understands the value of all members of an Analytics Team (Data Scientist, Data Analyst, Data Engineer, Data Plumber, Data Custodian)
- Flexibility, but always with an eye toward Process - Transparency key
- Depth of knowledge in data and database arts, but can also do Chef automation, Script API’s, understands security, and can follow, comment, and improve on a set of best practices.
What Would Be Awesome To Have
- Prior SaaS working experience
- Data modeling and ETL experience
- Salesforce, Netsuite & Avarala experience (including coding, API knowledge and report generation)
- Google Analytics experience
What’s In It For You
- Medical and dental benefits
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Flexible work environment
- Dynamic and dedicated team
- Data/Cell (internet) stipend
- Casual dress code
Sound Like a Good Fit?
Check out our core values. If they excite you, we’d love to talk! Please submit the following to apply:
- Resume (including months/years of employment for each position)
- Cover letter explaining why you’d like to work at When I Work, and not somewhere else.
(Anything else you want to ask for in their cover letter or application?)